University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Flatiron has completed multiple complex renovations in UPENN’s Anatomy-Chemistry Building, which was built in 1929 and remains a vital part of the School of Medicine. During the seven-month renovation, Flatiron constructed two research areas, along with shared corridors and restrooms. The project entailed significant new mechanical upgrades including fume hoods, bio-safety cabinets, lab gasses, 3 AHUs, Strobic exhaust fans with rooftop utility platforms, and energy recovery systems.
New infrastructure replaced existing systems within the occupied building. Shut-downs of services and utilities were carefully coordinated so adjacent laboratories could remain operational throughout the entire project duration. Flatiron transformed an outdated basement into attractive new research space. Researchers and the facilities staff have responded enthusiastically to the new microscopy and cell center laboratories.
“Flatiron’s continued success working on challenging School of Medicine lab projects make them one of only a few contractors that the school is comfortable inviting to bid on projects.”
University of Pennsylvania